Established 21 years ago, Derbyshire Toy Libraries is a charity is run by a small team of dedicated and passionate volunteers, offering a toy hire and equipment service throughout Derbyshire. With over 1000 toys and over 260 members, it’s very popular with those playing and paying!
DTL operates from one of the ground floor rooms at Strutts for easy, level access from the rear carpark. The room is a treasure trove, stacked with shelving and storage packed full of brightly coloured exciting things!
Members pay a membership fee then hire any of the toys or equipment from the online database. With a wide variety of toys, instruments, indoor and outdoor equipment and fancy dress too, there’s something for everyone. Ideal for parents or grandparents hiring just what’s needed, ‘try before you buy’, or adding extra fun for events or family gatherings. Great service, advice and recommendations too!
Stock is thoroughly cleaned and checked after each hire and regularly replenished, with monthly toy sales, donations to other charities or families in need.
An inspired intergenerational project – ‘Young at Heart’ also provides appropriate items to care homes locally, so from newborn onwards – there’s no age limit!
STOP PRESS!!! Congratulations to Ann-Marie from Derbyshire Toy Libraries, who was recently announced as WINNER in the @WhatsOn4KidsUK Awards 2021 at @WBTourLondon – the Studios where all 8 Harry Potter™ films were made.
www.derbyshiretoylibraries.org fb/Instagram – @derbyshiretoylibraries
Derbyshire Toy Libraries – Our aim:
- Support children’s development through the extension of play opportunities
- Provide a place for parents and carers to meet
- Offer support for parenting and parental involvement in play
- Act as a hub within the local community
- Provide opportunities for volunteering and learning new skills
Borrowing toys means you can keep pace with your child’s development and interests without the expense of buying new toys. You can also solve your storage problems!
- Rent a number of items for a party, wedding, christening or activity day
- Try before you buy
- Use toys to help your child develop a particular skill
- Encourage children to select their own toys and make choices
- Have a different selection of toys for your guests when they come to stay