The Project known as the Strutts Community Centre Project consists of three separate organisations:
- The Guardians of Strutts (GOS)
- Strutts Centre Limited (SCL)
- Belper Strutts Society (BSS)
Essentially, GOS, SCL and BSS all have the same main aims and objectives in terms of preserving the site for the benefit of the community of Belper, and running it as a community centre, but each have their separate roles too.
The structure was set up in this way, as recommended by legal advice right at the start of the Project in 2009. Apart Although it can seem a complex way of operating, it does suit the particular requirements of this Project for several reasons;
- Charities cannot trade, but limited companies can!
- Charities get reductions or exemptions from certain taxation, licences and property rates.
- Community based voluntary groups are not restricted in their activities as much as limited companies.